At The Holden School we are very lucky to have a Church on our doorstep. We all had a lovely afternoon at St. Peter’s Church looking at the historical artefacts on display for ‘Heritage week’. We discovered that our school had been named after John Holden, a famous person in Leigh’s historical past. Mr Holden was a local mill owner and he was the mayor of Leigh from 1911-1913. Every year Mr Holden treated local children to an annual Guy Fawkes’ night fireworks display at The Firs (his house which is now Fir’s Park). The stained glass window above the altar in St. Peter’s Church commemorates John Holden and his family.